Wednesday 15 January 2014

Colour Palettes & Fonts

Colour Palettes 

When doing my research on magazine covers, contents and double page spreads, a reoccurring pattern was that white and black were used more than most colours. All magazines will include them somewhere throughout the magazine issue, even though that are often used in subtle ways. There were no themes linked to any other colours that were used, of that I could link specifically to my genre and style. However when going into further detail I found that all cover that included a male model used stereotypical masculine colours that were often darker and more intense, whereas all covers that included a female model used more pastel, lighter more feminine colours. The colours used in a magazine cover can reveal a lot about the image of the intent of the photographers work. Colour palettes are colours that are used in combination with each other to compliment that image that is featured. The definition of colour palettes is: "In computer graphics, a palette is either a given, finite set of colours for the management of digital images (that is, a colour palette), or a small on-screen graphical element for choosing from a limited set of choices, not necessarily colours (such as a tools palette)."



I have prepared 12 colour palettes that will allow me to develop my coursework studies of magazines even further than previously able. I have chosen these particular palettes because they are what I believe will combine to create the best cover, as well as develop the initial image that I will feature on the cover. The overall aim of using colour palettes is to make the cover or subject image as attracting and captivating as possible for an audience. On the other hand, I want my image to be the main focal point of the whole cover, so i will choose a colour scheme that does not overpower the image, but perfectly compliments it. The combination of the cover image and the colour palettes chosen are what will create an impacting cover, and leave an impression on the audience.




Fonts




This list of fonts is useful to me as I am able to identify the fonts that I believe will best suit my magazine style, however I would like the feature image and the artistic design to be the main focal point. In order for this to happen, I will use a simplistic, but effective font that does not overpower the layout out or photography.

Fonts such as 'March' is capitalised and bold, and I think it would be perfect for the cover. It would also sit well amongst the image, showing the importance of a masthead. The only problem is that this font may attract the readers attention from the photography, even though my aim is for the masthead and feature image to compliment each other perfectly. Personally my favourite is 'Shape' as it is simplistic and clean, and would give a very professional look and style to my magazine. However, when I applied a pastille colour to it, I thought it look too common and did not fit the unique style and design the I want to reflect. I feel as though something like 'Year Book' would fit my style better, and is still simplistic and would compliment the photography.

The font in my opinion is a crucial aspect in the design of a magazine, however if overused it can crowd the page and takes away the main focal point from the photography. Therefore I will use as little fonts possible, and try to keep it simple but effective.


1 comment:

  1. You should be in a position now where you know which colour palette you are using - make this clear and explain your reasons based on this research.

    ReplyDelete